Systems Optimization Laboratory
Stanford, CA 94305-4121 USA
SOL Journal Articles
A few downloadable articles are collected here:
- J. Yang, X. Meng, and M. W. Mahoney,
Quantile Regression for Large-scale Applications,
Preprint: arXiv:1305.0087 (2013).
To appear in Proc. of the 30th ICML Conference (2013).
Submitted May 2013 to SISC.
- P. Berman, A. Leshem, O. Etziony, O. Levi, Y. Parmet, M. Saunders, and Z. Wiesman.
Novel 1H low field nuclear magnetic resonance applications
for the field of biodiesel,
Biotechnology for Biofuels 6:55, 20 pp (2013).
- R. M. T. Fleming, C. M. Maes, M. A. Saunders, Y. Ye, B. Ø. Palsson.
A variational principle for computing
nonequilibrium fluxes and potentials in genome-scale biochemical networks,
J. of Theoretical Biology 292, 71-77 (2012).
- D. C.-L. Fong and M. A. Saunders.
CG versus MINRES: An empirical comparison,
SQU Journal for Science 17:1, 44-62 (2012).
- S. P. Ponnapalli, M. A. Saunders, C. F. Van Loan, and O. Alter.
A higher-order generalized singular value decomposition for comparison of
global mRNA expression from multiple organisms,
PLoS ONE 6(12):e28072, 1-11 (2011).
- D. C.-L. Fong and M. A. Saunders,
LSMR: An iterative algorithm for sparse least-squares problems,
SIAM J. Sci. Comput. 33:5, 2950-2971,
published electronically Oct 27, 2011.
Note: For Golub-Kahan bidiagonalization, Section 7.3 of the above
paper reports ancillary results on reorthogonalizing either the left
vectors or the right vectors or both. After the paper appeared, we
became aware that the following article also reports the effectiveness
of one-sided reorthogonalization:
H. D. Simon and H. Zha.
Low-rank matrix approximation using the
Lanczos bidiagonalization process with applications,
SIAM J. Sci. Comput. 21:6, 2257-2274 (2000).
- S.-C. T. Choi, C. C. Paige and M. A. Saunders.
MINRES-QLP: A Krylov subspace method for indefinite
or singular symmetric systems,
SIAM J. Sci. Comput. 33:4, 1810-1836,
published electronically Aug 4, 2011.
(Winner of SIAM Linear Algebra Prize
awarded by SIAM Activity Group on Linear Algebra,
2012 SIAM Conference on Applied Linear Algebra, Valencia, Spain, June 18-22, 2012.)
- M. W. Carter, H. H. Jin, M. A. Saunders, and Y. Ye.
SpaseLoc: An adaptive subproblem algorithm for
scalable wireless sensor network localization,
SIAM J. on Optimization 17(4), 1102-1128 (2006).
- R. Tibshirani, M. A. Saunders, S. Rosset, J. Zhu, and K. Knight.
Sparsity and smoothness via the fused lasso,
J. Royal Statistical Society B 67(1), 91-108 (2005).
- M. P. Friedlander and M. A. Saunders.
A globally convergent linearly constrained Lagrangian method for nonlinear optimization,
SIAM J. on Optimization 15(3), 863-897 (2005).
(Winner of Best Paper Award, ICCOPT 1, RPI, NY, 2004.)
- SIAM Review Editors,
SIGEST Introduction to SNOPT paper,
SIAM Review 47(1), 97 (2005).
- P. E. Gill, W. Murray and M. A. Saunders.
SNOPT: An SQP algorithm for large-scale constrained optimization,
SIAM Review 47(1), 99-131 (2005).
- M. Jacobsen, P. C. Hansen and M. A. Saunders.
Subspace preconditioned LSQR for discrete ill-posed problems,
BIT 43, 975-989 (2003).
- S. S. Chen, D. L. Donoho, and M. A. Saunders.
Atomic decomposition by Basis Pursuit,
SIAM Review 43(1), 129-159 (2001).
- G. Infanger.
Monte Carlo (importance) sampling within a Benders
decomposition algorithm for stochastic linear programs,
Annals of Operations Research 39 69-95 (1992).
- P. E. Gill, W. Murray, M. A. Saunders, and M. H. Wright (1989).
A practical anti-cycling procedure for linearly constrained
Math. Prog. 45, 437-474.
- P. E. Gill, W. Murray, M. A. Saunders, J. A. Tomlin and M. H. Wright (1986).
On projected Newton barrier methods for linear programming
and an equivalence to Karmarkar's projective method,
Math. Prog. 36, 183-209.
- P. E. Gill, W. Murray, M. A. Saunders and M. H. Wright.
Sparse matrix methods in optimization,
SIAM J. on Scientific and Statistical Computing 5(3), 562-589 (1984).
- C. C. Paige and M. A. Saunders.
Generalized Singular Value Decomposition,
SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 18(3), 398-405 (1981).
- P. E. Gill, G. H. Golub, W. Murray, and M. A. Saunders.
Methods for modifying matrix factorizations,
Mathematics of Computation 28(126), 505-535 (1974).
See also faculty homepages.